Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Making games on scratch

To build my confidence in teaching computing using Scratch, I created a simple game after watching a tutorial.

The aim of the game is for the dog to touch the key without touching the bat. The bat moves up and down to guard the key. 

1. The bat needs to move up and down
Needed to do change some of the values so that the bat moved vertically. 


 2. The dog needs to move according to the arrow keys



3. The game needs to stop when the dog touches the bat


4. The game needs to finish when the dog gets the key. 





Although I watched a tutorial, I tried to figure out the instructions myself. I did end up using the tutorial to help me out with how to finish the game.  Using Scratch is a great way to get children to problem solve and figure out ALL the steps necessary. It's quite challenging but can be quite rewarding when sprites finally do what you want them to do!

Creating a game on scratch is best used as project at the end of a half-term in which students demonstrate the skills they have learnt. An interesting game on Scratch requires the students to understand the concept of variables, sequencing, repeating events and conditional events and be able to use the appropriate instructions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment